Monday, September 28, 2009

Olde Things

The English don't tear down old buildings and put up new ones. I was told they will gladly spend more to preserve the exterior of an old building and replace the interior if necessary. Some of these buildings are comparatively 'new' next to some things I'll post another day.

Here's a house across from one of the gates to the cathedral close in Norwich -- this is a top-notch neighborhood!

This next one is on King's Street, the 'main' street of Norwich -- also an excellent neighborhood. The lower level will soon be upscale shops and the upper level will be residential flats.

Norwich today is quite a large city; there was a time when it was larger than London. It was the center of trade with the continent, especially for wool exports, a major part of the English economy for centuries. To this day, the Speaker of the House of Lords in Parliament sits on the 'Woolsack,' which was the symbol of Britain's prosperity.

My body is still about four hours out of synch with this time zone -- so at least I'm halfway back to normal. I saw the orthopedic surgeon today, fifteen weeks after the shoulder surgery. He was very pleased with where I am now, and so am I. I was able to schlep my own luggage without help on the trip.

Gratitudes:
good recovery from surgery
the character of old buildings

No comments: