Thursday, July 30, 2009

Checking In

I haven't fallen off the earth, though it sometimes feels like it. This month has been wild -- we've had (very inconsiderate) houseguests (who won't be welcome back); I've taken each grandchild who lives near here to UW-Madison's Grandparents University two consecutive weeks (DGD -- age nine -- and I studied Global Climate Change, DGS -- age eleven -- and I studied limnology); we've had the Oriental rugs rolled up, taken to the rug doctor and washed, brought home and unrolled, and I've been getting everything possible off the laid carpets because they and the living room upholstery will be cleaned tomorrow. Plus the usual stuff. And physical therapy, which takes more time every week. And coping with all the zucchini and carrots from our CSA -- lots of baked zucchini bread and carrot cake in the freezer now! Next it will be freezing tomatoes . . .

I don't even have a photo to show you, because it's been so rainy and grey whenever DH is available to hold up the latest finished quilt that I haven't been able to take one.

I have been using the time when I've run out of energy to read some good novels and watch DVDs of the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency HBO series -- I loved it! I was afraid they'd ruin the books, but they didn't. They left Mma Ramotswe tied to the tracks at the end, though, so I have to assume they will continue the series in another season. And I've just started Tea Time for the Traditionally Built, the latest book. The first two chapters are laugh-out-loud funny.

An interesting coincidence about the other reading is that without any planning on my part, four of the books have been historical fiction taking place in the 9th and 10th Centuries, about the Vikings and Anglo-Saxons in the British Isles. I have two criteria for historical fiction: the historical facts have to be accurate, and the story-telling has to be good. If I find factual errors, I figure the author hasn't done his or her homework, and I won't waste my time on the book. It's a painless way to learn some history, but worthless if it's full of mistakes.

I'm also suffering from Quilting-Retreat-Deprivation-Syndrome; I miss sewing and laughing with my good friends. And nothing is scheduled until the end of October! Woe is me! Of course, if that's the worst of my problems, I'm a lucky person. And I am.

No comments: